The Physical Therapy program offers an accredited program leading to a Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) degree. Students in this program are exposed to cutting edge research and practice in both the classroom and the clinic.
Graduates of the program are eligible to sit for the state licensure examination and are entitled to full membership in the professional organization, the American Physical Therapy Association. Information regarding state licensure can be obtained from the individual licensing boards. Physical therapists are health care professionals who diagnose and treat individuals of all ages with medical problems or other health-related conditions that limit their abilities to move and perform functional activities in their daily lives. Physical therapists examine each individual and develop a plan using treatment techniques to promote the ability to move, reduce pain, restore function, and prevent disability. In addition, physical therapists work with individuals to prevent the loss of mobility before it occurs by developing fitness and wellness-oriented programs for healthier and more active lifestyles. State licensure is required in each state in which a physical therapist practices.
Revenda Greene, PT, DPT, PhD
The mission of the program is to recruit and prepare promising African Americans and underserved minority populations with leadership potential to become compassionate, and competent physical therapists, with expertise in clinical decision making, problem-solving, and research. The program is committed to attracting and sustaining a cadre of faculty who promote critical thinking, self – inquiry, active learning, community service, cultural sensitivity, ethical behavior and contribute to research, practice, and enhancement of the profession nationally and internationally.
Howard University is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.
The Doctor of Physical Therapy Program at Howard University is accredited by:
Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education(CAPTE)
3030 Potomac Avenue Suite 100
Alexandria, Virginia 22305-3085
*The program’s current status is probationary accreditation. You can find more information at the CAPTE website here. If needing to contact the program/institution directly, please contact the department chair, Dr. Revenda Greene
The following requirements must be satisfied for admission:
- Applicants must have received a baccalaureate degree in any field, from an accredited institution prior to start of classes in the Doctor of Physical Therapy program
- GRE is required. A minimum score of 147 verbal; 147 quantitative; and 3.5 analytical is required. Send a PDF copy of scores sent from testing center as part of the application package to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Possess a minimum overall GPA of 3.0 in all required prerequisite courses. No required courses with a grade below "C" are accepted
- Possess a minimum of 3.0 cumulative GPA in the required math and sciences courses
- Math and Science courses must have been completed within seven years of application
- Complete the PTCAS application and all other admissions requirements by the deadline (December 15th)
- Create a video presentation lasting no more than 5 minutes. Upload the video to YouTube and include the link with application package materials
- Fully complete other supplemental application items and upload your entire application package to email@example.com utilizing the following heading in the subject line: HU DPT Applicant Package 2018-(Last Name, First Initial)-(Your PTCAS #)
- Paper applications WILL NOT be accepted
- The Admissions Committee may invite candidates who meet the admission requirements for an interview
- Candidates will be selected following a competitive evaluation process
Please refer to the Howard University DPT Admissions FAQ Sheet for more information and specific instructions. Email questions or concerns to firstname.lastname@example.org
Physical Therapy Department
Howard University College of Nursing & Allied Health Sciences
Washington, DC 20059
Two-Year Average for Graduates in 2020 and 2021
70%Licensure Rate - Ultimate NPTE Pass Rate
100%Employment Rate (For Licensed Physical Therapists)
Class of 2021
8%First Attempt Pass Rate (1/13)
69%Ultimate NPTE Pass Rate (9/13)
Class of 2020
57%First Attempt NPTE Pass Rate (12/21)
71%Ultimate NPTE Pass Rate (15/21)
Tuition & Fees
Please see the Doctor of Physical Therapy Program Financial Fact Sheet.
The estimated cost of attendance for students in the Doctor of Physical Therapy program can be found on the Financial Services website.