Current Size: 100%
The Graduate Nursing program is designed for registered nurses who wish to further advance their nursing career. The Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP) track is a traditional program that prepares nurses to achieve the core competencies required of the family nurse practitioner. Coupled with the 46 semester hours and additional clinical hours, the curriculum is sequenced in a manner to facilitate the student’s progression and transition into the advanced practice role. The Nurse Educator (NE) track is a 39-semester online program and is designed to prepare registered nurses to teach in academic and clinical settings and enhance skills in staff development and community education. The Post-Master’s certificates in the Family Nurse Practitioner and Nurse Educator tracks further prepare registered nurses who have a Master of Science in Nursing degree to either work as Family Nurse Practitioners or teach in academic and clinical settings.
Upon successful completion of the graduation requirements and the necessary years of full-time teaching experience in an academic role, graduates are eligible to sit for the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (AANP) Family Nurse Practitioner Certification Examination, or the National League for Nursing Certified Nurse Educator (CNE) Examination depending on their program concentration.
The applicant must:
- Have graduated from an accredited nursing program with a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) Degree with a minimum 3.0 grade point average on a 4.0 scale.
- Have completed one year of clinical work experience post-BSN.
- Have completed a statistics course.
- Be eligible for licensure as a Registered Nurse in the District of Columbia.
The applicant must submit the following documents for review:
- Nursing CAS Application (see link above)
- Three (3) letters of recommendation
- Forty-five dollars ($45.00) application fee
- Curriculum vitae / resume
- Official transcript(s)of all college course work
- Professional goal statement
- Graduate Record Exam results (waived for Post-Master’s certificate applicants) (Due to the COVID-19 pandemic the GRE submission has been extended until July 1, 2020)
ADMISSIONS DEADLINE: May 29, 2020